Following is a list of "favorite" books sitting on my shelves. Some of these titles are popular, well-known books by famous authors and appear perhaps on many lists like this, but a couple of these may not be quite so famous. Nonetheless each and every one of these captivated and fascinated me for various reasons. A few of them were among the first Civil War books I ever read on my own (i.e. not for a class assignment) and therefore may have impressed me more then than they would now, but I still have fond memories of them and include them, since they fueled my obsession which burns to this day.
I have read many other fine books, ones I would highly recommend, but these few just stick in my mind as favorites for various reasons.
- Creating a Confederate Kentucky: The Lost Cause and Civil War Memory in a Border State by Anne Marshall. See my review of it.
- Lincoln at Peoria: The Turning Point, by Lewis Lehrman See also lincolnatpeoria.com or my review of it
- A. Lincoln: A Biography by Ronald C White Jr See also Author's website
- For Slavery & Union by Patrick Lewis
- Forgotten Valor: The Memoirs, Journals and Civil War Letters of Orlando B. Wilcox , edited by Robert Garth Scott
- Go if You Think it Your Duty by Andrea Foroughi
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- With My Face to the Enemy: Perspectives on the Civil War, edited by Robert Cowley
- A Great Civil War: A Military and Political History, 1861-1865, by Russel F. Weigley
- The Civil War: A Narrative, by Shelby Foote (3 volumes)
- Drawn with the Sword: Perspectives on the American Civil War, edited by James McPherson
- This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War, by Drew Gilpin Faust
- Lincoln's Labels: America's Best Known Brands and the Civil War by James M. Schmidt See my review right here
- Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander
- Battle Cry of Freedom by James M McPherson
- The Coming Fury Terrible Swift Sword Never Call Retreat - Bruce Catton's Civil War Trilogy
- Sickles at Gettysburg by James A. Hessler
- A Crisis in Confederate Command by Jeffery Prushankin